How To Create A Windows 10 Usb Install Disk
If you have a 4GB or larger USB flash drive or a blank DVD handy , you can create your own Windows 10 install disk. Having your own disk allows you to run the upgrade on multiple computers without waiting an hour for a fresh download. You also have the option of doing a clean install or running the upgrade a second time if you run into problems later. Here’s how to create a Windows 10 install disk.
Before you begin, make sure to insert your flash drive into one of your USB ports. Be aware that all data on the drive will be erased.
1. Follow steps 1 -3 above, installing the Download tool and launching it.
2. Select “Create installation media . . . “
3. Select the language, edition and architecture of Windows. Make sure your selections match those of the computer you wish to upgrade. So, if you currently have Windows 8 Home , choose Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
4. Select USB flash drive. If you plan to burn this to DVD instead, select ISO file and, after the process is over, you’ll have to use a DVD burning program to write the ISO to disc.
5. when the process is complete. If you don’t plan to install Windows 10 right away, you can remove the drive and stop here.
6. Launch setup.exe on the flash drive to start the upgrade process.
7. Select “Download and install updates” and click Next. If you are in a big hurry, choose “Not right now.” Wait several minutes for the updates to download.
8.The software takes a couple of minutes to check your system.
You Can Still Upgrade To Windows 10 For Free Here’s How
Note: This article was originally posted on December 1st, 2019, but has since been updated to reflect the current version of Windows 10 and new steps that should be taken to prevent problems with the upgrade.
When Windows 10 was first released, Microsoft announced a promotion that allowed Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This promotion ended in 2017, but a method still exists to upgrade older computers to Windows 10 for free.
Almost six years later and the latest Windows 10 version 2004 feature update released in May 2020, Microsoft has quietly turned a blind eye to the fact that you can use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
When upgrading a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computer with the Media Creation Tool, your older license will be converted to a Windows 10 digital license tied to that device.
After upgrading, this digital license allows you to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on the device, continue upgrading to newer versions of Windows 10, and potentially get a free upgrade to future versions of Windows.
According to a Reddit user named CokeRobot, who claims to be a Microsoft worker, Windows 10’s free upgrade for a year was ‘marketing fluff’ to maximize the operating system’s adoption.
CokeRobot also shed some light on the now-expired Windows 10 free upgrade offer.
How To Upgrade Via Direct Download
1. Navigate to
3. Launch the Download Tool.
4. if you are just installing on this computer and want to do so right away. However, if you want to create your own USB or DVD media, see the section below on “How to Create Windows 8 Install Media.” Though it requires a few extra steps and a blank Flash drive or disc, creating your own install media allows you to not only install on multiple computers, but also reinstall on your current computer if something goes wrong.
The tool will take a while to download the software so be patient, particularly if you have a slow Internet connection. After it downloads, the software also goes through a preparation process and downloads some more files, all of which takes time, perhaps as long as an hour even on a high-speed connection.
5. on the license terms screen. Wait again as the software checks for updates. You may want to walk away, as this also takes several minutes.
6. If you’re upgrading from Windows 7 make sure to select “keep personal files and app” or the upgrade won’t work. Then Wait 20 to 30 minutes for the computer to copy files. It will reboot several times.
7. at the login screen.
8. You can always change some settings later.
9. on the “New apps for the new Windows” screen. The computer will say “finalizing your settings,” and then take you to the Windows 10 lock screen.
10. Log in to your computer. Windows 10 will take another couple of minutes to do an initial setup and then it will take you to the Windows desktop.
Also Check: How To Setup My Hp Printer To My Laptop
How To Upgrade Windows 81 To Windows 10
We already showed you how to upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 10, now lets take a look at going through the upgrade on Windows 8.1.
Windows 10 is now ready in 190 countries. If you reserved your copy, you should see a message to upgrade. If not, you can always download the Media Creation tool from Microsoft and install it or .
We already showed you how to upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 now, lets look at going through the upgrade on Windows 8.1.
Update: Microsoft has dropped support for Windows 8.1, as it explains in a blog post:
Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. With the general availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 had until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 to remain supported.
You Can Still Download Windows 10 For Free Before Windows 11 Arrives Here’s How
You’ll need Microsoft’s Windows 10 in order to get the free Windows 11 upgrade later.
If you’ve been holding out on upgrading to Windows 10, now is the time. Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 more than a year ago, and it wants holdouts to upgrade to Windows 10 to keep devices running securely and smoothly — particularly before Windows 11 starts rolling out this week. Windows 11 will only be available as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users. Anyone on older operating systems will have to pay for the upgrade.
If you have an older PC or laptop still running Windows 7, you can buy Windows 10 Home on Microsoft’s website for $139 . But you don’t necessarily have to shell out the cash: A free upgrade offer from Microsoft that technically ended in 2016 still works for many people. With the potential new version of Windows right around the corner, now may be a good time to make sure you’re on the latest version to make any future updates easier.
When Windows 10 was first released in July 2015, Microsoft offered an unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users, good through July 2016. But in 2017, Ed Bott of CNET’s sister site ZDNet reported that the free upgrade tool was still functional. I tried it out in November 2019 and was able to upgrade a 2014 Dell OptiPlex 9020 desktop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. As of August 2021, readers are still emailing me and commenting below, saying that it’s worked for them as well.
You May Like: Clean Hp Laptop
Workaround Method To Run The Upgrade Installer
When you are ready, you have to run the installer application. Follow these steps to upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 10:
1. To upgrade the system, a window will open up on the screen. Choose an option of Upgrade this PC now and then, on Next. The tool will download the installation files.
2. When the files will be downloaded and unpacked, it will be asking you to accept terms and license. Hit on Accept and the tool will do the last update check
3. The installer will automatically select the option to keep all the personal files and installed applications safely in a place. If you want to alter it, hit on the option Change what to keep
4. If you have selected Change What to keep, a screen will open that lets you make a choice between different options, which include:
- Keep Personal Files and Apps: It will retain all files, folders, and installed applications. It will be the same as the default option given by the tool
- Keep Personal Files Only: Here, only files will be backed up and all the applications will be removed
- Nothing: All the personal files, installed applications, and Windows settings will be removed. Instead of selecting this option, users have to perform a clean install.
5. Select the desired alternative and hit on Next button to continue to upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 10. You will return to the main screen. Then, on the Install button
Prerequisites To Upgrade Windows 8 To Windows 10
Some of the practices that have to be followed while updating process are discussed in the upcoming section:
- Ensure that the Copy of Windows is Activated
The most important point to be kept in mind is that the present edition of the Windows should be properly activated. Although Microsoft suggested that Windows 10 would be a general upgrade that will even install on a deactivated Window, the result will never be fruitful as compared to the case of activated Windows.
To know if the copy of Windows 8 is enabled, hit on Windows+W to open up the Settings Search. Then, type Activated into the Search box, followed by launching See if Windows is activated results.
Another option is to open Control Panel > > System to check the status of the machine
In case of Windows 7, press on Start, right-click on Computer option and then, choose an alternative of Properties. The dialog-window which will open on the screen will show if a copy of Windows is activated.
- Backup Your Personal Computer
Do not forget to take a full backup of the system. However, upgrade procedure does not result in loss of data, but prevention is better than cure.
- Turn Off Third-Party Antivirus Tools
It is seen that some antivirus programs interfere with the Windows update process. So, it is required to uninstall them or turn them on before commencing the update procedure.
- Take the Assistance of Windows 10 Update
Recommended Reading: Change Msi Keyboard Color
Getting The Laptop Video And Sound Card Specifications
Option : Try The Whynotwin11 App To Check Windows 11 Compatibility
An open-source app called WhyNotWin11 is a good alternative to the PC Health Check app. The Github app, created by a developer not affiliated with Microsoft, has a less friendly interface, but it should give you more information and go into more detail about various potential compatibility issues. Here’s more information from TechRadar on how to use it to determine your own device compatibility with Windows 11.
You May Like: How To Unblock School Laptop Administrator
How Do I Get Windows 10 For Free On My Computer
If you already have a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 a software/product key, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. You activate it by using the key from one of those older OSes. But note that a key can only be used on one PC at a time, so if you use that key for a new PC build, any other PC running that key is out of luck.
Make The Changes In Your System Registry
Altering a few registry entries can help you upgrade your motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10. Do note that you need to exercise caution when changing the registry entries. A wrong entry can make the system crash and make your computer fail.
Here are the steps that you can use for the purpose of activating Windows after swapping motherboards on Windows 10
- Open the Run dialog box and type in regedit . Press ENTER.
- This will open the Registry Editor
- Go to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci. If you are on Windows 10/8/Server 2012, you can follow the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\storahci
- Double click on the Start DWORD and change its value to 0.
- Also, change the value of the DWord for the following key as well. You can change the value to Zero
Once these changes have been made, you can shut down your computer and upgrade your motherboard and CPU. After the boot, your computer should start without hassles.
Don’t Miss: How To Connect Laptop To Canon Pixma Printer
Features Deprecated In Windows 11
Supercharged Copy And Paste Clipboard
This is more than just syncing items you cut or copy with Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X to a cloud storage area t
One of the newer features in Windows 10 is one I now use every day: Clipboard History. This lets you paste from multiple items you recently copied or cut and works with both text and images. The clipboard is no longer limited to one PC, but your copies can roam to other devices. You can even pin items you use repeatedly to the new clipboard.
Also Check: Connect Laptop To Hp Printer
Can I Upgrade My Motherboard And Cpu Without Reinstalling Windows 10
When using a laptop or desktop, it can happen most of the time to find the hardware on your device. The hardware that can fail would include the motherboard, CPU, and several other components. These components can have severe issues and would need replacement. If you are checking out the options for upgrading the motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10, we thought of listing out the excellent fixes that can be helpful in this context.
Getting The Laptop Memory Specifications
Read Also: How To Hook Up Computer To Tv Without Hdmi