What Is An Ip Address
Of course, some people may not be totally clear on what an IP address actually is no shame here! An IP address, which standards for an internet protocol address, is a devices identifying number associated with a specific computer or network of computers. Basically, IP addresses let computers send and receive information, but they can also be used to track the physical locations of users,4 a nightmare for those concerned with privacy. And according to our VPN usage research, that accounts for 40 percent of VPN-users.
Get Started with ExpressVPN and Change Your IP
Change Your Ip Address In Windows & Mac
You can easily change the IP Address in Windows and Mac computer. So, in this article, we are going to share some of the best working methods to change your IP Address in Windows & Mac.
Unplug the Modem/Broadband
If you are connecting to the internet over a dial-up modem, your ISP will assign your PC a different IP address each time you connect. Therefore if you need to change the IP address simply try disconnecting and reconnecting.
If you are a broadband user then you might be assigned with a Static IP address which means you have to disconnect your broadband from your computer over a larger period of time . Simply remove the coaxial cables from your broadband and leave it for 4-5 hours and reconnect it. You will get the new IP address.
Open Your Network Settings
Search for Control Panel in the Windows search bar and select the corresponding result. Then, under Network and Internet, select View Network Status and Tasks, followed by Change Adapter Settings in the left-hand menu.
Right-click on your main Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection and select Properties from the drop-down menu. From the list under the Networking tab, look for Internet Protocol Version 4 . Select it, then select Properties.
Recommended Reading: How To Shut Down Laptop With Keyboard
Types Of Ip Addresses
Not all IP addresses are created equal! Rather, they can be divided into a few different categories, some of which have certain advantages over others.
- Public: Each and every internet-connected device has a public IP address, distributed by the Internet Service Providers vis-à-vis the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. What, you havent heard of ICANN? Nevertheless, these public IP addresses are searchable on the web, which is why we can find our printer simply by Googling its IP address.
- Private/ local: In contrast to public IP addresses, private IP addresses arent searchable on the web. Rather, theyre numbers that routers assign the devices on their networks so that they can communicate with each other.
- Dynamic: Dynamic IP addresses, as we mentioned before, are any type of IP address that change every time you connect, usually through a VPN. This makes users hard to track online, as their literal address keeps changing.
- Static: Static means that the IP addresses do not change. With VPNs, static IP addresses are usually shared with thousands of users in order to obscure their identities. However, some websites block these shared IP addresses, which necessitates users getting dedicated IP addresses. What a convenient transition!
- Dedicated: Dedicated IP addresses are assigned to only one user rather than being shared by several. They usually cost a different fee on top of the regular VPN subscription.
How Do I Change My Ip Address In Windows 7
Note: If you are changing the IP address on a physical connection, it will be called Local Area Connection. If you are changing the IP address on a wireless connection, it will be called Wireless Network Connection.
Note: If you are changing your IP address to access a specific device, minimize the Network Connections window. Complete the steps above, but in step 7, select Obtain an IP address automatically to access the Internet again.
Was this information helpful?
Don’t Miss: Msi Change Keyboard Color
Use A Proxy To Change Your Ip Address
Proxies work similarly to VPNs but with far less versatility and security. Your internet connection goes through a middleman server so that websites and other online resources see the proxy servers IP address and not your own. Unlike VPNs, proxies often lack encryption, only affect certain apps, and can leak your IP address through other means.
A few different types of proxies can be used to change your IP address:
- HTTP/S proxies Usually either browser extensions or special websites that work like a browser within your browser. They only change the IP address on data sent to and from your browser, but do not affect other apps or even DNS traffic. If encryption is included, these are sometimes called SSL proxies.
- SOCKS proxies General purpose proxy servers that can be configured for specific apps including most web browsers. SOCKS5, the latest version, includes support for encryption.
- SSH proxies SSH proxies forward internet traffic from apps like your web browser through a Secure Shell connection to a server, so your IP address is changed to that of the server. Although encryption is included, SSH is not a particularly fast protocol, and many websites and apps might not function properly when connected.
How To Change The Ip Address In Windows 10 Using The Control Panel
In Windows 10, you can also change your IP address from the Control Panel. Open the Control Panel and click or tap on “View network status and tasks” under “Network and Internet.”
In the Network and Sharing Center, click or tap on your internet connection from the “View your active networks” area.
In your network’s Status window, click or tap on Properties.
In the Properties window, select Internet Protocol Version 4 or Internet Protocol Version 6 , depending on the IP address that you want to change. If you want to change both, repeat the next steps for each of them.
Click or tap on Properties.
The previous action opens a window called Internet Protocol Version 4 Properties or Internet Protocol Version 6 Properties, depending on what you chose earlier. This is where you can change your IP address:
If you want to use a dynamic IP address that’s automatically assigned to your Windows 10 PC by your router, select “Obtain an IP address automatically.” Then, click or tap on OK and close all the windows you’ve opened.
If you want to set a static IP address for your network adapter, select “Use the following IP address.” Then, enter the required details manually: IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway, just like we’ve shown you in the previous method from this guide.
Save your new IP address settings by clicking or tapping on OK, then close all the windows you’ve opened during the process.
Don’t Miss: Buy Samsung Laptops
How To Change The Ip Address In Windows 10 Using Powershell Or Command Prompt
If you prefer using a command-line environment, you can also change the IP address in Windows 10 using PowerShell or Command Prompt. Regardless of what your favorite console is, run the netsh interface ip show config command. In the results that are displayed, identify the network adapter for which you want to change the IP address. For example, the name of our network interface is Wi-Fi, as you can see in the screenshot below.
If you want to change the IP address to a dynamic one that’s automatically assigned by your router via DHCP, run the following command: netsh interface ip set address “Network Interface Name” dhcp. Replace “Network Interface Name” with the name of your network connection. For example, we need to run netsh interface ip set address “Wi-Fi” dhcp.
If you want to set a static IP address, run this command: netsh interface ip set address name= “Network Interface Name” static . Replace with the ones that match your network configuration. In our example, if we’d want to change our IP address to 192.168.50.10, we’d have to run netsh interface ip set address name=”Wi-Fi” static 192.168.50.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.50.1.
How To Change Public And Private Ip Address On Windows 10/7/8
IP Address is the unique numerical label allotted to each device which uses the internet and connected to computer network. It is a term, a usual internet user would not even think about, but it is an important technology which mainly serves two foremost functions of network interface identification and location addressing.
Also Check: Should I Buy A Desktop Or Laptop
What Is The Best Method To Get A Fake Country Ip
In the section above, I have shared with you the top four methods to change the IP address to any country you wish.
However, if you ask how to change the IP address on a phone, laptop, or any other device, a VPN remains the best option.
This is because a good VPN not only changes your real IP address but also offers tremendous privacy features.
I personally use ExpressVPN to change my IP country whenever I want to access content from the other part of the world.
Despite data encryption, ExpressVPN never lags in speed, and so, it works seamlessly well for me.
Also, ExpressVPNs no-logging policy is desirable for all users who do not wish their online activities to be logged by anyone.
Plus, at present, ExpressVPN is one of the very few VPNs that still combat Netflix blocking easily.
They have employed various measures to bluff Netflix and other popular streaming services IP detection.
Also, their huge network makes it way easier for them to continue uninterrupted services for users.
Connect To A Vpn To Change Your Ip Address
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts your internet connection and routes it through a server in a location of your choosing. Websites, online services, and other devices on the web will only see the VPN servers IP address and not your real IP address.
VPNs are useful for torrenting, unblocking region-locked content like that from Netflix and BBC iPlayer, and bypassing censorship at schools, in offices, and in countries like China.
Most VPNs can easily hide your IPv4 address, but many VPNs can leak your IP address through various security vulnerabilities. Furthermore, not all VPNs hide your IPv6 address. Choose a VPN that either disables IPv6 or can prevent IPv6 leaks by default.
If youre not sure how to set up a VPN just follow the simple steps below.
Heres how to change your IP address with a VPN:
Don’t Miss: How To Log Into Hp Laptop Without Password
Use Netflix And Other Streaming Services Anywhere
Ever missed watching BBC iPlayer when youre abroad? Cant watch your favorite Netflix show just because you traveled to another country?
Then you surely need to change your IP address to a different country.
Streaming platforms such as Netflix often have various geo-restrictions enabled on the content they show. This can either be a requirement from the media studios, or they have to block certain content in a region based on the media policies of that country.
Either way, it is you, the user, who suffers.
These services track your IP address to know your location and apply content restrictions.
So, as a workaround, simply change the IP country of your device to the one where the content you want to access is available.
Doing so would change your online location, and you will be able to unblock Netflix USA and other similar as they wont be able to track your exact location. Hence, you could continue to enjoy your favorite shows no matter where you are.
Ask Your Isp To Change Your Ip Address
Another option is to ask your ISP for a new IP address. Every ISP has different policies about how they handle such requests, so responses may vary. At minimum, youll need your account information and current IP address on hand.
Most ISPs use dynamic IP address systems, meaning IP addresses occasionally change and get recycled as devices connect and disconnect from the internet. With that in mind, note that your new IP address might not stay the same forever.
In some cases, you can request a static IP address from your ISP, though this might require paying an extra fee and/or going through an application process. Once provided with a static IP address, you can enter it into your devices network settings. Static IP addresses never change unless you manually change them.
Also Check: How To Connect Pixma Printer To Laptop
How To Change The Ip Address To Another Country
The readers like you support PrivacySavvy to help keep up the good work. When you purchase using links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn how PrivacySavvy.com makes money.
While that you have reached this article, you would probably know what is an IP address and why you need to hide or change your IP country. But even if you dont, no worries, this article explains it all for you.
But before we move on, assure yourself of one thing. Changing your IP address isnt an online luxury, rather your due right and a necessity for your privacy.
The online world is full of cybercriminals who keep looking for ways to prey on you.
Likewise, the annoying advertisers are also always on the search for your details to track what you like, so that they can barrage you with ads.
And, of course, you dont want every snooper or perpetrator to keep eyes on your online activities, do you?
Thats where you need to change the IP address country! But before we get to it, lets cover some basics you must know.
Rushed? Here is how to change your IP country quickly:
How To Change Your Public Ip Address
No matter what kind of computer you have Windows or Mac it’s pretty easy to change your public IP address.
Your public IP address is usually set by your internet service provider , and you can’t choose it yourself. However, you can “coax” it to change in any of several different ways:
- Change your network or location: Your public IP address will change based on where and how you connect to the internet. If you have a phone with LTE, for example, turning off Wi-Fi so it uses that LTE signal will compel it to use a different IP address. You can also connect to a different Wi-Fi network.
- Reboot your internet modem: When you reboot the modem it’ll refresh all the IP addresses on the network.
- Connect with a VPN: A VPN hides your public IP address, and connects you to a server in a different location with a different IP address. When you use a VPN, you don’t get to choose the IP address directly, but you can usually choose what geographic region you want to appear to come from, which will determine what IP addresses the VPN software will use to identify you.
If all else fails, contact your ISP and ask them to change your IP address. They might not be able to do it, but there’s no harm in asking.
Recommended Reading: How To Zoom In On Hp Laptop
How To Change Your Local Ip Address In Windows
1. Click the Start button and then click “Settings.”
2. Click “Network & Internet.”
3. In the navigation pane on the left, click “Wi-Fi” and then click the name of your Wi-Fi network. If you’re connected with an Ethernet cable, select “Ethernet.”
4. On the details page for your Wi-Fi network, scroll down to the IP settings section and click “Edit.” With Ethernet, click “Properties.”
5. Finally, in the Edit IP settings dialog box, click “Automatic ” and choose “Manual.” Then turn on IPv4 by swiping the button to the right and enter the details of the new IP address. Click “Save.”
Change Networks To Get A Different Ip Address
This might seem obvious, but you can get a different IP address by disconnecting from whatever network youre currently connected to and connecting to a different one. You can switch to a different wifi network, for example, or switch from wifi to a mobile data connection if youre on a smartphone.
Remember that public and open wifi hotspots are often prime hunting grounds for hackers. Try to stick with a wifi network that requires a password and is encrypted with WPA2.
Also Check: Can I Sell My Laptop Back To Hp
Change Ip Addresses By Unplugging Your Modem
You might be able to get a new IP address by unplugging your internet modem, waiting a few minutes, and then plugging it back in again. When this happens, you release your existing IP address so that your ISP can recycle it. When you reconnect, your ISP assigns you a new IP address.
This method isnt guaranteed to work because your ISP might just give you the same IP address again. The longer you leave your modem unplugged, however, the higher the chance your IP address changes. If unplugging for a few minutes doesnt get the job done, consider leaving it unplugged overnight.
Your ISP must use dynamic IP addresses in order for this to work. Most do.
Why Change Your Ip Address
Some ISPs assign static IP addresses to their subscribers. Home users are commonly configured with a dynamic IP address. Either way, you may be able to contact your ISP to request a new static IP or a dynamic IP change. You can’t change your external internet IP address on your own.
Some people change their public external IP address to avoid online bans or bypass country location restrictions that some sites impose on video content.
Changing the IP address of a client computer, phone, or router is useful when:
- An invalid address is accidentally configured, such as a static IP address in the wrong numeric range.
- A malfunctioning router provides bad addresses, such as an address used by another computer on the network.
- Installing a new router and reconfiguring a home network to use its default IP address range.
Read Also: Show Phone Screen On Laptop