How To Install Chrome Os On Any Desktop Or Laptop Computer
If compiling your operating system isn’t on your typical to-do list, developer Neverware offers a much easier method. CloudReady by Neverware is a version of Chromium OS that you can run on any computer. All you need is USB flash drive 8 or 16 GB, and you’re ready to go.
Another great option that can be relied on to get a similar experience to Chrome OS is Fyde OS from Flint.
Prerequisites To Installing Chromium Os
First, you have to download the latest version of Chromium for your particular device. You will also need a program to work with the OS image. In this example, Etcher was used, along with a USB with at least 8GB capacity, and the PC for the Chromium installation.
Here are the links to software you should download to make things work:
Prepare your USB, but ensure its empty. Transfer all valuable data to your PC before you begin. When youve got everything ready, here is what to do:
Advantages Of Chrome Os Clone
Chrome OS can run Android apps on the desktop. The huge selection in the is not only available on the cell phone but also on the laptop, with some restrictions. You can also run several apps simultaneously in different windows on the desktop. Which is not possible with a classic smartphone.
With a proper keyboard and mouse or touchpad, the Chromebook is the more productive alternative to a simple tablet. For a large number of Android users, it is also of interest that the apps can even exchange data between Chrome OS and Android.
In our article What is a Chromebook? Advantages and disadvantages at a glance, we have compared all the advantages and disadvantages of laptops with Chrome OS = Chromebook in detail for you.
Also Check: How To Clean Laptop Screen Hp
Chrome Os Flex Turns An Aging Laptop Into A Chromebook For Free
This might be the best way to keep a laptop out of a landfill.
Senior Editor / Reviews
Joshua Goldman is a senior editor for CNET Reviews, covering laptops and the occasional action cam or drone and related accessories. He has been writing about and reviewing consumer technology and software since 2000.
Goodbye CloudReady, hello Google Chrome OS Flex.
Google’s Chrome OS isn’t available to install on a laptop or desktop like Windows or Linux, but the next best thing is Neverware’s CloudReady OS. I stumbled upon it when I wanted to see if I could turn an old Windows laptop into a Chromebook for my kids to use for school. CloudReady is mainly built for businesses and education, but the OS is free for personal use, and it’s lightweight enough that it’s great for breathing new life into a computer that’s struggling from the demands of Windows or MacOS.
Google acquired Neverware in December 2020, but there didn’t appear to be any big changes coming for the OS. It turns out the company’s been busy, though. On Tuesday it announced Chrome OS Flex, a rebuilt, more robust version of CloudReady. And it’s still going to be free for home use.
While CloudReady delivered a lot of the value of Chrome OS, the feel and some key features were still missing. Chrome OS Flex fills in many of those gaps, starting with the browser.
Not sure if you’re ready to switch? Chrome OS Flex can run off a USB drive without installing it.
Prepare Your Usb Drive
Recommended Reading: Windows 10 Keyboard Shutdown
How To Install Chrome Os Flex On Your Laptop
- Note: The Google Play Store and Android apps are not supported in this version. You might want to first read a list of other known issues.
- Warning from their site: Chrome OS Flex is currently released for early access testing and is not suitable for production use. Seems to be BETA.
Im going to install a version of the Chrome OS Flex on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It originally had Windows 7 then I upgraded to Windows 10. Slow as molasses on this one and crashes with a BSOD on occasion.
Booting Into Linux Mint Cinnamon
Recommended Reading: Refurbished Laptops Meaning
Install Chrome Os Flex From Usb Recovery Media
Once you have created the Chrome OS Flex recovery media, you’ll need to restart your computer with the USB drive connected, enter the BIOS boot menu, and select your USB drive as the boot device. The process for entering the boot menu varies from one manufacturer to another. If you don’t know how to access the boot menu on your system, you should refer to the manufacturer’s support material.
The initial Chrome OS Flex installation screen should load up within a few moments and the installer will ask if you would like to install to the hard drive on your computer or try it from the USB media.
One of the most interesting things about the Chrome OS Flex USB installation media is that it uses persistent storage. Unlike most live USB systems, if you elect to try Chrome OS Flex without installing it to your computer’s hard drive, it’ll save the account you set up and the options that you choose on the USB and use it automatically the next time you boot from the same media. You will still be able to install the system to your device’s hard drive at any time.
Next, it’ll ask you if you’d like to set up your new Chromebook for yourself or your child. All you need to do is follow the prompts and enter the account information for whichever option you choose. If you choose to set up the device for your child, the installer will give you extra options for setting parental controls.
Alternatively: Try A Lightweight Linux Desktop
Google officially supports Chrome on Linux. Any lightweight Linux distribution can work well, providing a minimal desktop where you can run Chromeor another browser, like Firefox. Rather than attempting to install the open source version of Chrome OS or a Linux distribution designed to look like Chrome OS, you can just install a Linux distribution with a lightweight desktop environmentor any desktop environment, reallyand use Chrome on that.
For example, Lubuntu is a great option if youre looking for a lightweight Linux desktop that will run well on an older computer. However, any desktop will work. Consult our guide to the best Linux distributions for beginners to choose one that works for you.
Linux distributions make a great choice if youre just looking for a basic desktop environment to browse on. Theyre also a great way to upgrade any old computers you have that may be running Windows XP or Windows Vista, giving them a modern operating system with security updates and an up-to-date browser for free. You can even watch Netflix in Chrome on Linux now. There are no dirty hacks requiredit just works.
Note that you may need to disable Secure Boot to boot some Linux distributions on modern PCs.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Laptop Screen
Switch To Chrome Os Folder
All the files we needed to install Chrome OS including the recovery image we have copied in the chromeos folder earlier in the USB drive, thus we switch to that first. On the command terminal type
cd /cdromcd /chromeosls
You will see all the files reside in the folder.
Now, run the ChromeOS installation script command
bash < script> -src < recovery-image-name> -dst < disk where you want to install the OS>
The command will be like this
bash chromeos-install.sh -src grunt-recovery.bin -dst /dev/sda
Note: Change the recover Bin file name you have used and the destination drive. If you use /dev/sda then it will format the first or primary drive available on your system completely. I mean it will be wiped. Therefore, make sure there nothing important on your systems hard drive. If you two drives, then the second drive will be at /dev/sdb.
Wait for a few minutes and it will be done
How To Install Cloud
2. There you can see the download links for Windows, Mac, and Chromebooks.
3. Under the Windows section, Download the USB Maker app& install it on your Windows PC, just like you install any other app.
4. Select 64 -bit or 32-bit according to your computer.
5. Connect the USB stick and click on Next. The data on the USB stick will be lost in the process, so make sure to back up your data in it first.
6. This process will download CloudReady files from the Internet and may take up to 20 minutes. Once the process is completed, click on Finish.
7. You are ready to install the Cloud Ready OS using the USB stick.
8. Shutdown the computer you want to install the OS on and boot it from the USB. To accomplish this, you need to change the Boot Order in BIOS.
9. Keep the USB Drive as the first option in the boot order, so that the device will boot from the USB.
10. Once the device got booted using USB, you can almost see the Cloud Ready UI already, then click on Lets Go to get started. This may take a few minutes to pop-up as the OS is loading from the USB.11. Connect to the Internet using ethernet cable or Wifi.
12. The OS will check for any latest updates and then ask you to Log in by using the email address thats associated with your Google Account. I recommend you dont log-in immediately.
You May Like: How To Cast My Phone To My Pc
How To Install Google Chrome Os Flex On Your Laptop
Until now, the only way to get an official copy of Chrome OS from Google was to buy one of the company’s popular Chromebooks.
Users that wanted to install the OS on their own existing hardware were left out in the cold, forced to rely on modified, unsupported, and hacked-together versions of Chrome OS that lack functionality and features. Now, with Chrome OS Flex, Google aims to change that.
Will You Install Chrome Os Flex On Your Pc Or Laptop
So that was our guide on how to install Chrome OS Flex on aging PCs and Windows laptops. Although I didnt test Chrome OS Flex on an Apple MacBook, rest assured, the installation steps are similar, so you can give it a try. Apart from that, I attempted to dual-boot Chrome OS Flex with Windows 11 side-by-side, but currently, the bootloader has some issues. When we have it working properly, we will surely let you know. Anyway, that is all from us here. If you wish to learn about the best Chrome OS tips and tricks, go ahead and check our detailed article linked here. And if you have any questions, comment down below and let us know.
Recommended Reading: Shutdown Laptop With Keyboard
How To Install Chrome Os On Any Pc And Turn It Into A Chromebook
Chris Hoffman is Editor-in-Chief of How-To Geek. He’s written about technology for over a decade and was a PCWorld columnist for two years. Chris has written for The New York Times and Reader’s Digest, been interviewed as a technology expert on TV stations like Miami’s NBC 6, and had his work covered by news outlets like the BBC. Since 2011, Chris has written over 2,000 articles that have been read nearly one billion times—and that’s just here at How-To Geek. Read more…
Want to turn any old computer into a Chromebook? Google doesnt provide official builds of Chrome OS for anything but official Chromebooks, but there are ways you can install the open-source Chromium OS software or a similar operating system.
These are all easy to play with, so you can run them entirely from a USB drive to try them out. Installing them on your computer is optional.
Minimum System Requirements To Run Chrome Os Flex On Windows
Google, the creator of Chrome OS Flex, has said that operating software can be installed on laptops and devices which were released less than 15 years ago. Google has revealed the minimum system requirements of a device with the capability to run Chrome OS Flex.
- Intel or AMD x86-64-bit compatible device.
- Atleast 4GB of RAM.
Recommended Reading: Unblocking School Computers
Chrome Os Vs Chromium Os
While Chrome OS is great and all, you traditionally have to shell out some cash to get your hands on it. Chrome OS isnt available for download from anywhere and therefore you cannot install Chrome OS on your laptop unless its a Chromebook. Google doesnt allow it to be installed on devices that havent been authorized by the company. Thats why you only have a Chromebook when you have a Chromebook.
However, Chrome OS is nothing much but the Chrome browser running on top of the Linux Kernel. Chrome itself is based on the open-source Chromium browser, also by Google. As it does with the browser, Google also maintains an open source version of Chrome OS called Chromium OS. On top of it, Google adds proprietary code o build Chrome OS. A key difference between Chromium OS and Chrome OS is the browser used for the principal user interface. No points for guessing which OS uses which browser. Another key difference is that you cannot download Chrome OS but you can download Chromium OS.
Installing Chromium Os To A Computer Using Cloudready
Don’t Miss: How To Record On Dell Laptop
Install Chrome Os Clone Of Cloudready Via Usb
For the installation, you will need a USB stick with a size of at least 8 GB of storage space. Then download the CloudReady USB Maker from the download page of the home edition of CloudReady. This will create a bootable USB stick and download an image of CloudReady onto it. The USB Maker requires at least Windows 7 to run.
With this stick, you can later boot the system and use it as a live system or install it permanently.
Install Chrome Os On Windows: Required Downloads
1. First off, download the Linux Mint Cinnamon image. You can also use other Linux distros such as Ubuntu or Debian, but since Linux Mint is pretty lightweight, I am using it in this tutorial.
2. Next, so that we can flash Linux Mint Cinnamon on the USB drive.
3. After that, download the official Chrome OS recovery image from here. If this link is not working then you can download the image from here as well. Open the website and search for rammus. Now, click on the latest recovery image to download it . Here, I am recommending rammus because it works on modern Intel processors. However, you should follow the below rule and download the specific image based on your processor.
- rammus is the recommended image for devices with 4th generation Intel CPU and newer.
- samus is the recommended image for devices with 3rd generation Intel CPU and older.
- zork is the image to use for AMD Ryzen 3XXX.
- grunt is the image to use for AMD Stoney Ridge.
4. Now, download the most important file: Brunch. Its a framework built by a developer named sebanc so huge thanks to him for making this project possible. The framework creates a generic Chrome OS image from the official recovery image so it can be installed on any Windows PC. To download the file, and look for the latest stable build and then click on Assets. Now, download the tar.gz file.
Now that we are done with the downloads, lets jump to the steps, shall we?
You May Like: Screen Recording Hp Laptop